Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to carbon monoxide, the CO molecules will displace the oxygen in their bodies and lead to poisoning. 

Any gas-burning appliance can spill carbon monoxide – including old and new heaters, central heating units, space heaters and wall furnaces, hot water systems and decorative appliances such as decorative log fires. 

The use of open-flued gas space heaters, especially models on the Energy Safe Victoria’s safety alert list may produce increased indoor carbon monoxide levels under certain conditions. If the heater is not operating properly, the combination of inadequate ventilation, as well as operating bathroom exhaust fans or kitchen rangehoods at the same time as this type of gas heater, may draw unsafe levels of carbon monoxide into living areas. The risk is further increased if the heater and associated components such as the flue are not regularly serviced/checked. 

Its just not worth the risks, have Melbourne Gas Group check over all your gas appliances today.

Symptoms

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that may cause symptoms including tiredness, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, confusion or chest pain if inhaled. 

Anyone experiencing any of these symptoms should:

  • immediately turn off all gas appliances (heater, stove) and kitchen rangehood or bathroom fans
  • open the doors and windows to ventilate the area
  • leave the property, keeping the doors and windows open if possible
  • Seek medical advise
  • Get in contact with Melbourne Gas Group to inspect the gas appliances within the property. 

Energy Safe Victoria recommends that all gas-burning appliances are serviced every two years at a minimum. 

 

Energy Safe Victoria- Is Your Gas Heater Safe?

Victorian Builders Authority- Carbon Monoxide