Carbon Monoxide Awareness for Gas Appliances

Share This Post

It’s crucial that you’re aware of carbon monoxide when it comes to gas appliances. In recent years awareness of carbon monoxide has grown.  However, many Australians still aren’t fully aware of the danger that gas appliances can pose. Your gas appliances could be releasing poisonous carbon monoxide into the air without you even realising it. It poses a serious risk. Be aware and read our helpful guide here.

What Exactly is Carbon Monoxide and What are the Risks?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colourless gas created by the incomplete combustion of fuels. It’s an invisible enemy as you can’t see it or smell it. Faulty or poorly maintained gas appliances like gas heaters and stoves can release carbon monoxide into the air. Exposure to it can lead to poisoning as carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream. This can make you seriously sick and can even cause death. 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in the Media

There have been cases in the media of carbon monoxide poisoning so it’s a very real danger that can happen to anyone. Use the following two examples as a warning for you and your family to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning:

How do I Keep Myself and Family Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The best thing you can do to keep yourself and family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning is ensure that your gas appliances are 100% safe. To do this:

  • Get your gas appliances serviced at least once every two years by a Licensed gas fitter with a Type A Servicing License. 
  • Never attempt DIY service or get an unqualified or inexperienced plumber to do it. This is dangerous and leads to spending more money down the track.
  • Be sure to check for safety advice. Some people still use open- flue heaters which are now in discussions to be banned in Victoria. Find out why here.
  • Keep aware of any updates in the media about gas appliances and safety especially around any recalls of gas appliance products. 

Importance of Proper Accreditation for Gas Appliance Servicing

Only 10% of Victorian plumbers have the correct accreditation to be completing gas safety checks. There’s only around 1600 correctly qualified gas fitters in Victoria who can do these checks. This means if you’re not careful with which plumber you hire you can easily fall prey to using an unlicensed and unqualified plumber who doesn’t have the correct accreditation. This poses serious safety risks to you and your family. In addition, it will end up costing you more money as you’ll inevitably need to get a second plumber to come out. So, choose wisely and choose a fully licensed and accredited plumber. 

VBA Carbon Monoxide Safety Program 

VBA (Victorian Building Authority) is embarking on an comprehensive carbon monoxide safety program throughout Victoria to retrain all registered or licensed plumbers to ensure they know how to conduct a carbon monoxide spillage test, and understand the effect of negative pressure on the safe operation of gas appliances. This is the best way to determine if a gas appliance is leaking dangerous carbon monoxide. We can’t emphasize enough the importance of always going through a qualified professional for your gas appliance testing. 

Now that your hopefully more aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, get your gas appliances tested and encourage your family and friends to get their gas appliances tested too. Contact the team at Melbourne Gas Group, your qualified and fully licensed gas plumbers who can give you peace of mind by testing for carbon monoxide.

More To Explore

Carbon Monoxide Awareness for Gas Appliances

It’s crucial that you’re aware of carbon monoxide when it comes to gas appliances. In recent years awareness of carbon monoxide has grown.  However, many

Talk To Melbourne Gas Group Team Today